Accounts of living in Yellowknife (a work in progress, this site and my life)

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Happy Canada Day, yesterday.

I spent yesterday on a boat for 11 hours of fishing - left at 6am and went up the yellowknife river and then down on the Great Slave Lake. I got almost no sleep the night before, but the fish were biting and we caught some 7 - 6 pike, and 1 whitefish. Nothing too big, but enough to eat for dinner. The water in great slave never really warms up, so the wind off the water was freezing.

Of course the one that got away was bigger than the rest.

I moved into my new place finally... so much nicer than that piece of crap apartment i was in previously. Also, its a 3 minute walk to work... so, im about 3 minutes late every morning. As for work, its gotten really busy - and as a side note, if any planner wants to work up here sometime within the next year... let me know.

I of course took some pics when boating. Youll probably be most interested in the houseboats.... there are about 30 and they come in all shapes and sizes - from a 2000 sq ft home on a converted barge to a sinking shed. They are entirely off the grid and would certainly be an interesting way of life. The controversy up here is that they dont pay municipal taxes, yet use municipal services.... however, dont seem to be going anywhere.

Anyway - i need to go find some food... so below are some pictures (the last 3 are left over from a post i started last week right before my internet went out for a few days... so enjoy them out of context).

5 Comments:

Blogger Sumayyah said...

Those are some great pics! I will be sure to take my camera along when I go out canoeing next week. The parade in the city was alright, but you didn't miss anything. You mentioned that there may be a job for a city planner...what are the qualifications and what would the job entail?

11:07 PM

 
Blogger NorthofYou said...

A degree in planning and some experience, or a related degree and more experience usually does it.

11:27 AM

 
Blogger Ryan Paquet said...

It's amazing how freaking fast time flies. Already getting close to mid-July! Vacation time for me man is looking more along the lines of early December or January...

I will keep you posted - right now lots of shit going on. Glad to see you've finally gotten into your new place - a houseboat would be pretty cool too.

7:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sumayyah - if you can walk, if you can talk, you can work for Ben.

FACE!

(Stupid me, celebrating a big proposal on an empty stomach with Ned Flanders and the world's worst Merlot.)

8:28 PM

 
Blogger NorthofYou said...

And yet another Planner falls victim to cheap Merlot.

11:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home