Accounts of living in Yellowknife (a work in progress, this site and my life)

Monday, January 16, 2006

What's work like so far?

A word from the wise: If moving to Yellowknife tell your movers you are arriving 2 weeks before you are. Then you stand a 50/50 chance of having your boxed crap arrive at the same time you do. Mine is supposed to be here at some vague point later this week. We will see about that - I am not bitter at all, not even a little....

On another note - having completed a day of work at the City I feel sufficently experienced to make comment. Today: work day 1. I shook some hands, made some friends, invested my new social capital in creating an army of office drones, capitulated the government, spent a short time as dictator for life and concurrently bankrupted the city, then fled to mexico. Now I write my blog. Enough of this cold weather - where's my mai tai?

While the above is not literaly true, it was a daydream that kept me occupied this aft while I was being shown the intricacies of the corporate file naming/search system called microsoft DM (for dungeon master?) - I'm a slave to IT. It looks like I will be the go-to guy on mapping and computer crap for the planning department. You may now also refer to me as Officer Petch, considering I have been sworn in as a lands officer - drop that house or Ill shoot! I don't get to carry a gun, but I do have lots of pens.

The people seem nice, but then so do most people until you get to know them. I should actually be able to make a contribution here as well as make some friends. I was warned about the politics of the place, but all planning positions carry such inherent risk. I would hazard to suggest that most other professions do as well.

That said, they are currently looking for a new planning commissioner/director personage. If any of my planning confederates (actually take the time to) read this you should apply. Not that you are remotely qualified... but it would be funny to me to have the acting director ask me if I know you. If that happens I'll mail you 5 dollars and a bucket of blubber.

Cheers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home