Accounts of living in Yellowknife (a work in progress, this site and my life)

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Was floats your weekend?

OK that was a long week. This friday brought about the most sincere TGIF (thank God its fri) of any friday yet in the YK- I had had enough of my private war with the GIS (geographic information) system at work. Its unfortunate that no one there really understands the complications that arise when dealing with contours, orthos, and data that dont have the attributes you need - they do sympathise though, which is muchos nice of them. I have been trying to put together 3Dmodels for that new subdivision area that I keep talking about designing... its basically turning into a make work for myself program because no one else seems intent on giving me work.

Its a weird experience going from being amongst the oldest at university to being the yougest in your workplace. It makes you interact differently.... I find that I have to respect peoples wisdom and experience as more than mine in certain areas, but have to balance that with the realization that they are no more intelligent than myself. I also do recognize that I am a can be an ambitious, cocky SOB, but again that this mentality has stood me in good stead so far.

Anyway, enough about work.

Let me wax ludicrous about my latest situational observations. And if this takes a turn for the melodramatic, blame the music im listening to (sigur ros), and the scotch in my glass - hopefully we can avoid that.

I now walk to work in a sunrise situation. Where before there was dark, I now get sunlight. The sun comes up during my walk to work... i figure that since the sunrise/set times change by 4mins per day that I have another week of this before the sun is up before me.
And it doesnt stop there, it just keeps getting earlier and earlier until it doesnt set. I figure on buying a lot of black markers and colouring in my bedroom windows come summer.

This morning was a why dont i become wide awake at 8am and immediately go for a walk (thats where most of the subsequent pix come from) kind of day. So up i got, not really of mine own choice, but because i wanted to see the sunrise while it was still at a reasonable hour. Temperature-wise it is actually nice out here.... -22 or so with winchill i think. After that AM tour it was hours of awful(ly good) tv movies. And then after much deliberation and a basic fed-upedness with going without any social interaction: to the bar. This week I wasnt feeling very adventurous so only made it to the boston pizza to watch some olympic womens hockey reruns and the people play electronic poker and of course to drink some beer.

Funny thing did happen on the way home though - i was walking by the 'gold range' bar and some guy roared at me (I think). It wasnt like he said anything comprehensible, it was more like drunken leopard or lion telling someone that it wanted to eat them... except it was wearing a parka and not very catlike or threatening or hungry at all. Yeah, cool.

So enjoy the pix, and hopefully something funnier comes along for the next posting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home