Accounts of living in Yellowknife (a work in progress, this site and my life)

Sunday, March 19, 2006

How much of nothing can one person do?

A lot. After gorging on Guiness for St Pat's... saturday turned into sunday with out much ado.

Went for a liquid dinner at the black night on friday directly from work and stuck around untill sometime after 12. A rather tame night, the highlight being the pipe and drum band that unexpectedly turned out to be that nights st pats entertainment in the downstairs of the bar. They just walked in - bagpipes and all - and began belting it out. Knocking people on the head with the pipes and bashing stuff with the drum mallets.... pissed the wait staff off royally. Only truly sour note of the eveing were the beer prices.... its about 8.50$ a pint!! Outrageous... now you can see why i cant save any money - stupid beer.

I have decided that screaming tantruming kids and their thunderous footsteps are the worst sort of sunday morning alarm clock. Occuring with alarming regularity directly above my bedroom toddlers take out their anger at the world and mainly their parents during the early hours of the morning - meaning that I will be moving to a better apartment at some point. One not built with lumber but with cement - the most effective of noise insulators. You'd think 1000$ a month would rent you some silence.

So today is sunday and i have accomplished so much of the little i set out to do this weekend - fait accompli. I imagine I ll go to the gym today and its nice enough out that I will have to do something outdoorsy.... warmer here than in ottawa i think.

So maybe ill post some pictures later. For now, heres a map of canada http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/americas/canada_pol97.jpg. Now those of you who are spatially challenged can appreciate how in the middle of nowhere i truly am and heres a link to some yellowknife maps: http://www.theedge.ca/arden/links.htm.

One final note: the development officer at the city resigned the other day. So any planner wishing to work up here contact me and well get you set up. It is a pretty good job and pays well.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get my a programming job.

5:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fuck. I'm seriously retarded.

'my' = 'me'

5:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well hey, Ben, it wouldn't be so sour if you cut back on the booze. Oh wait, there isn't much else for you to do up there huh? LOL

You're not that far off in terms of weather, you'll beat us by a degree tomorrow, but after that we'll be warmer than you, though not by much. Though we may have potholes now, at least our roads here don't melt away!

6:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that it keeps up this warmness. I want to see consistent >0 weather by April 1. There's no way the ice bridge is gonna be open in May, and that ferry better be ready to go on May 5 when I get there...or else...well, I'll have to wait a week in Edmonton, but Karn won't be able to come up. Also, if it's not running by May 12, I doubt I'll be able to come up at all. It's too expensive to fly there.

Stupid secluded Yellowknife with no reliable roads from the livable parts of Canada...even Churchill, which has no roads at all to it, has a train every couple of days.

Hopefully global warming can get its arse in gear in time to save the day.

2:59 AM

 
Blogger NorthofYou said...

Flights just got cheaper. $250 or so each way from edmonton.... Jazz (air canada) starts flying in this summer.

11:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home