Accounts of living in Yellowknife (a work in progress, this site and my life)

Sunday, May 14, 2006

What kind of animal?

Has poo that looks like all-bran? I wish I knew. This update is all about europe, people, poo, and that guy- but not in that order.

Work continues and it gets warmer and brighter. Because of the light I sleep less and less, which I seem to be adapting well to. I just cant stand wasting daylight, even when there is almost 20 hrs of it.

I was asked by a friend if I was tired of Yellowknife yet. The answer is not quite. Things are changing so fast that I havent even noticed the months I have been here. It seems only yesterday I was sleeping through my last few classes of university, but its been 4.5 months.

Well, Phil Mitchell arrived alive from a 24hr bus ride from edmonton to here. This friend from 1st year university got into town friday at 11pm. Luckily the ferry had started running as of that day on the Mackenzie river so the bus didnt turn around and go back to edomonton. So I've been showing the town and area to him this weekend before i git back to 'er at work. Its 8:23 right now and Phil is passed out on the floor snoring. I guess he enjoyed the weekend.

So the following are some pictures. Some need explanation like the first one which is a reminder of how far ive come, fallen or gone since 1 year ago when friends and I were cheering the Canada team at the world cup which we lost to the Czech Republic. Oddly enough, today we lost a game to the Czechs. Hopefully just a hiccup in an otherwise perfect tournament.

The second picture is a little random. Took Phil to the Gold Range. While he was taking pictures. The guy in the picture who's not me came up and said to me "You're handsome". So, I immediately, seriously and without hesitation said, "So are you." He thought this was the funniest thing since sliced cheese and couldnt stop laughing. He demanded to have a picture taken with me. We then tried to have a conversation.

I say tried because I couldnt understand a word that he spoke. It was some sort of mash of poor english and native language and beers. At one point im pretty sure he wanted me to buy him a beer - he gave me 75 cents. At another point he gave me his wallet and im pretty sure he wanted to buy us all a round. All this with him slurring and spewing some sort of words at me and me responding with inane comments. It all ended with him shaking my hand for entirely too long while trying to do some sort of jig-like dance. Then he left.

The next few pictures are from this weekends hikes. Went to Prelude Lake today and it rained on us. Yesterday was a tour around Frame Lake near town. Spring has sprung and leaves are coming out on trees. I didnt take pictures of these, you'll just have to use your imagination.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But still, how do I know if I'm even in an elevator? Maybe it's a phone booth...or a refrigerator.

5:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home