Accounts of living in Yellowknife (a work in progress, this site and my life)

Saturday, March 11, 2006

What are bar-scapades?

Bar-scapades are similar to icecapades except replace skates with beer, rinks with pubs, and frilly costumes with some serious goin' out gear.

I went out on friday and am only now beginning to feel better. What began as an innocent beer after work with some colleagues at place called the black night descended through various levels of sanity until the evening was held together only by a recollection of how to get home and which key opens which door. I met the guys who work at the city garage - theyre all nuts. Someone kept buying me shots but the waitress wouldnt tell me who it was. I had 5 nacho chips for dinner and enough beer to fill a wading pool.

It turned out that one of the guys at work speaks japanese. So by way of a round of sambucca he was introduced to some japanese guys sitting at the bar and turned out they were here testdriving toyota vehicles in the cold on the iceroads. We took them out to a couple other places. By the end of the evening our communication had descended into hand gestures - my japanese never was that good.

So YK pictures this weekend will depend largely on how ambitious I get tomorrow. Youll just have to wait and see.

To sate your thirst for visuals, I have included the following. I received these from Paul, one of my former Waterloo roomates - the other guys, save for teehan, were a mainstay of my university years. We basically roomed in Unit 62 for 3 years or so - factually legendary.

And speaking of real life legends, do you remember the Great Wall of China? It was built to keep the barbarian hordes from feasting on the riches of china. A worthy reason. An equally worthy reason to build a big wall is stopping people from crossing the lawn of unit 62 on the way to somewhere else.

Throughout our tenure in the townhouse people constantly cut across the lawn on their way to somewhere else. Finally, with the right winter conditions and time to kill... the following monstrosity was constructed. This wall made up for all the cutting across our lawn and trampling our grass (when we werent burning it). Sadly, I was not there to participate.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best was when two people tried to take a table to their apartment by cutting over our lawn. Until the found the wall...and walked 400 feet around. Awesome.

MikeG

8:28 PM

 
Blogger Ryan Paquet said...

That is by far the most beautiful wall I have ever seen.

4:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home