Accounts of living in Yellowknife (a work in progress, this site and my life)

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Why not work?

Because City employees get the afternoon off to go to the Carnival - or the bar... or both even. I did both. Unfortunately the Carnival was pretty boring when I went. So, I will be going again in the hopes of seeing something more than melting snow and milling crowds.

Its also incredibly warm - above zero kind of warm. I wearing shorts and a tshirt (no.. not really). It is usually -35C or something equally as ridiculous at this time of year. So when they drilled holes to put the power poles through the ice the holes never froze and the ice flooded. Me, I think this is one of those things that a healthy does of foresight could have prevented. So they moved the carnival grounds. I guess it would make more sense if I explained that the carnival grounds are on a lake. There's your context.

So today I hope to see some dog races. Its a mass start for a 50K race and there are three heats - one each day starting yesterday. The overall winner goes to some big race in the Yukon or Alaska. I'd like to say its the klondike race... but that's an icecream bar so I'm probably wrong. Figure it out for yourself - its breakfast time.

Pictures later methinks.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was it the Iditarod? Brian competed in that when Family Guy was cancelled...or so he says in the movie.

12:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home