Accounts of living in Yellowknife (a work in progress, this site and my life)

Friday, January 27, 2006

What happened this week?

This week I left behind my subsistence living and once again began living the life - my stuff arrived you see. It actually got here on the weekend, but despite the fact it was some 2 weeks late already they couldnt deliver until wednesday - but whos complaining. So this week was spent waiting, then getting my stuff unpacked and organized - I also bought some beer. The best part was the beer.

When I rented the place they were emphatic that I not put holes in the walls. I figure for the stupid amount I pay for rent (I could own a house for cheaper) I can put holes wherever I want - and so I did (for pictures, not just holes for the sake of seeing what in the walls- tempting as that is).

People up here are often retarded - but in a good healthy optimistic way (I should say) - and I am one of them now I guess. You see today was -44 and I walked to work thinking "Hey, this isnt so bad once you cant feel your face anymore. Also my legs sting like a thousand bees are in my pants, but it could be colder (somehow)." Overheard at the office was a conversation about not being able to wait untill it got colder - sarcasm? Perhaps.

Its interesting driving when its this cold because A) youre car is really cold; B) You cant see anything because the exhaust of cars in front of you is a hugely thick fog; C) By the time you get out of work its night time baby.

So "How's Work?" you might be wondering. Me too, because I really havent done a lot of it. Municipal life certainly is different from the private sector. I had a lovely 4 hour meeting today about some development scheme.... but that was ok - most fun I've had all week. I got my office with no windows somewhat personalized and strewn with random papers so it appears I am doing work. I think I am getting this all figured out. Friendly people, interesting work (when I get it. It will get busy sometime soon I think), and close to what i now call home. Not a bad setup all told.

Today was a good day. I got paid and its friday - 'nuff said.

Speaking of home - while I was getting my car/tennant insurance sorted out the person helping me at the insurance office started telling me about how one of her friends lives in my apartment somewhere. Her friend was telling her about the heroine addict who lives next door. So I told her about the couple fighting that I heard above me the other night. She then told me about this couple who lives in my apartment and has the cops over all the time with their fighting - i think they might live overtop me. Fun.

Also fun was 3AM last night. I woke from a deep sleep because my alarm was going off.... so I hit the snooze repeatedly and then some more for good measure but nothing happened. The alarm was still going. Thinking my clock was broken I went back to sleep, woke up 5 mins later realizing that the thing was still going off and was probably the fire alarm. So I faced the question do I really want to go outside in -40 weather and stand around or stay inside where its warm and could get even warmer. I stayed in. Good choice as it turned out to be a false alarm - just like rez in 1st year univeristy, or highschool, or any other place with juvenile delinquents. I now know it takes fire people 15mins to get here at 3am.

Anyway, thats more than enough writing and if you actually read this whole thing go get yourself a cookie - you deserve it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home